Animated Maleficent fits the traditional “crone” archetype perfectly. I was so enamoured with the recent re-telling of the Disney classic, where her character becomes relatable, and is given great depth. We see her develop from an innocent child, through a bitter betrayal, to become the “Mistress of Evil” that she is touted to be. Yet, Maleficent is not beyond redemption, and although she does make mistakes, she is a strong enough character to learn from them, and better herself for the benefit of those around her that she loves. The climax of the film is the most important, with a kiss on Aurora’s forehead, Maleficent proves that true love comes in a variety of manifests. Adaptions like this, that take on a feminist re-write are very much needed in a society that still promotes the idea of a Prince Charming and often tends to oppress the idea of powerful, independent-thinking women. This is why I chose to illustrate the beautifully faceted Maleficent.
Ink, acrylics, and watercolours on paper.
by Chloe Henderson
Would you like your own commissioned artwork with an included drawing timelapse video? Check out my website for more details.
Much arty love.
1. If you are a reading this, please click through to comment on this post to let me know what you think, or if you have nothing to say clicking the like works wonders too ❤
2. Sharing is caring, and every little helps… if you enjoyed this post, please share it far and wide! Tell everyone how much you loved it!!! Please and thank you oh so much ❤
3. If you enjoyed this blog, and want to support my art even more, please consider supporting me on Patreon, and get behind the scenes access to my work! ❤
5. Check out my Shop to decorate your life with my artwork ❤
6. General questions? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org ❤